Journalist and Health Information Writer
- Award winning writer with more than 20 years of experience in print media, covering a range of topics that includes analyzing and presenting scientific research for the larger audience's understanding.
- Managerial experience as the former communication manager at CHADD, campus ministry assistant director and assistant managing editor of a regional newspaper. Additionally, well-developed customer service skills focused on identifying the needs of the patron and utilizing the appropriate available resources to meet those needs.
- Professional writer and page designer for both print and electronic mediums; experienced with creating and maintaining websites. Proficient in word processing, desktop publishing and computer-assisted research and reporting.
Software: Photoshop, MS Office (Word, Publisher, Excel, PowerPoint), InDesign, Quark
Web/Social Media: GoToMeeting, GoToWebcast, Webs, Inc. template-supported websites, Blogger template-supported blogging, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
National Resource Center on ADHD: A Program of CHADD – Lanham, Md.
The nation's clearinghouse for science-based information about all aspects of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder or ADHD
Ask the Expert Webcast Series Coordinator, Content & Health Information Specialist, Summer Camp Award Fund Manager – 2009 to Present
Webcast Series Coordinator:
- Schedule webcast calendar, selecting potential experts from the various fields of ADHD research and lived experience and topics based on feedback from previous webcast audience members and trending topics research national media and from callers
- Invite experts and schedule webcasts and expert training sessions
- Work closely with experts to prepare webcast presentations
- Write promotional materials for each webcast and work with colleagues to promote webcasts through direct email and social media
- Update CHADD and NRC websites with current information on upcoming and recorded webcasts
- Moderate live webcast, presenting the guest expert and audience questions
- Post recording to the NRC’s YouTube Channel
Contributing Editor, Attention Magazine
- Write the regular column Ask the Expert, based on the Ask the Expert Webcast Series
Content & Health Information Specialist:
- Write content for webpages, including Adults with ADHD and Driving, Teens with ADHD and Driving, For Teachers
- Write articles for the NRC and CHADD publications and for publications that the NRC has partnered with.
- Respond to callers to the NRC through online request responses, emails and telephone calls. I typically address questions on ADHD and education, finding a health care profession, workplace and family concerns. Many times, callers are in crisis and I help to connect them to resources that can assist them in resolving the issue.
- When called upon, I write press releases and handle media relations for CHADD, generally during our conferences.
Summer Camp Award Fund Manager:
This program is currently on hiatus, pending additional funding.
- Manage the camp tuition award program, including publicity, submissions, reviews and selections and working with camps and campers’ parents to ensure a good camping experience for awardees.
Improving the lives of people affected by ADHD
Communications Manager & Assistant Editor of Attention Magazine, Feb. 2007 to Jan. 2009
- Coordinated media relations and internal communications
- Wrote CHADD press releases, mass-mailing emails and CHADD webpage content
- Designed informational pamphlets
- Promoted and hosted special events and forums, including educational forums for medical professionals, lawmakers and members of the Spanish-special community.
- Created, edited and paginated the annual conference newsletters for 2007 and 2008. This included design of the newsletter and contracting with local printers.
- Designed and paginated various program books, notices and posters for CHADD events.
- Wrote and edited in-house and membership publications, including the CEO Report and ADHD in the News.
- Wrote feature articles and the re-occurring column, For the Fridge.
- Edited selected copy for the magazine and conducted fact-checking
- Proof-read the magazine
The Fredonia Newman Center – Fredonia, N.Y.
Campus ministry in the Catholic tradition; a program of the Diocese of Buffalo, N.Y.
Assistant Director of Campus Ministry, July 2002 to Feb. 2007
President, Dunkirk-Fredonia Council of Churches, June 2005 to Feb. 2007
- Coordinator of all programs, activities and lay ministries for the college center, including:
- Retreat programing, both spiritual program and location
- Annual Thanksgiving dinner of more than 100 guests
- Interfaith community celebrations
- Holiday and event program, such as start of semester and end of year events
- Adviser to all ministry programs and clubs
- Director of parish council
- Responsible for creation and disbursement of the annual budget
- Press relations and program promotion
- Supervision of the center’s employees and lay ministers
- Represented the Newman Center and Diocese of Buffalo to the college campus community
- Led prayer services in lieu of a priest
- Pastoral counseling for the congregation members of the campus ministry
President, Dunkirk-Fredonia Council of Churches
- Coordinated the ministry community for the city of Dunkirk and village of Fredonia
- Planned annual Thanksgiving, Easter and high school baccalaureate services
- Coordinated annual fundraising campaign
- Wrote and published newsletter
Fredonia State University – Fredonia, N.Y.
State University of New York, University College
Visiting Professor of Journalism, Department of English, July 2001 – August 2002
- Created and implemented curriculum for Introduction to Print and Broadcast Journalism, News Writing I & II
- Provided independent study opportunities for the campus newspaper editors
- Planned, organized and facilitated the Western New York Student Press Association Media Day for Western New York high school journalists.
Albion Advertiser – Albion N.Y.
Orleans County, N.Y., weekly newspaper, was continuously published for 180 years. Closed in 2014
Assistant Managing Editor of The (Medina) Journal-Register and
Editor in Charge of the Albion Advertiser, 1997 – Jan. 2000
The Albion Advertiser:
- Responsible for all news and editorial content of The Albion Advertiser, including reporting, selecting articles and editing
- Conducted and implemented an editorial redesign of the newspaper
- Paginated the weekly newspaper
- Oversaw newsroom training and coaching of reporters
- Assigned news coverage of events
- Scheduled photographers
- General support to the managing editor
- Represented both newspapers to the community through involvement in local events and press opportunities
The Journal-Register, Medina – Medina, N.Y.
Served the Ontario Lake Plains Community. Closed in 2014
- Business Page Reporter and Designer, 1996-1997
- On-line Editor, Reporter
Evening Observer – Dunkirk, N.Y.
Serving the Northern Chautauqua County, N.Y., community
- Area Reporter, 1995 to 1996
Society of Professional Journalists – Maryland Professional Chapter
- National Member, Since 1995
- Maryland Professional Chapter Member, Since 2011
Association of Health care Journalists
- Member, Since 2010
Relay Improvement Association – Relay & St. Denis/Halethorpe, Md.
Member, Since 2013
- Regular features contributor to the Relay Community Newsletter
- Maintain social media for the RIA and promote events to local media
- Coordinator of WWI Service Banner Restoration Committee
Annapolis Parrot Head Club – Greater Annapolis, Md., region
Service and social club to support charitable and educational programs and promote the general welfare of our community.
Web/Media Specialist, Since 2010
- Maintain the website and social media to promote events and community activities.
- Write press releases and handle media relations for events
Director of Membership, 2010-14
STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK COLLEGE AT BROCKPORT – Brockport, N.Y.
Master of Arts, August 2001
Major: Communication l Minor: Journalism
ST. BONAVENTURE UNIVERSITY – St. Bonaventure, N.Y.
Bachelor of Arts, May 1995
Major: Journalism/ Mass Communications l Minor: English
CHRIST THE KING SEMINARY – East Aurora, N.Y.
Coursework towards a pastoral associate degree, 2001-2006
Certificate in lay pastoral ministry l Young Adult Ministry l Theology
- Seminars on ADHD research at the Annual CHADD International Conference on ADHD
- Online seminars and courses through Poynter News University
- Association of Health Care Journalist Annual Conference - HEALTH JOURNALISM 2013 – Attendee, attending seminars on mental health coverage, current newsgathering techniques, freelancing
- Research into 1870s-1890s Anne Arundel County, Maryland, history for future publication