Journalist and Health Information Writer
- Award-winning writer, editor and journalist specializing in distilling scientific and health information for lay and professional audiences.
- Extensive managerial experience in nonprofits, regional newspapers, and campus ministry.
- Expert in print and electronic publication design, website creating and maintenance, word processing, desktop publishing, and computer-assisted research and reporting.
- Multimedia presentation, instruction, and webinar guru.
- Strong customer service and call-center counseling, informational and referral skills.
Software: Photoshop, MS Office (Word, Publisher, Excel, PowerPoint), InDesign, Quark
Web/Social Media: GoToMeeting, GoToWebcast, Adobe Connect, Webs, Inc. template-supported websites, Blogger template-supported blogging, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
National Resource Center on ADHD: A Program of CHADD, Lanham, Md., May 2009 to Present Weekly Newsletter Editor, Webcast Series Coordinator, Content & Health Information Specialist-Senior, Summer Camp Award Fund Manager, Contributing Editor
- Develop weekly newsletter editorial budget (content)
- Assign, edit, write articles and paginate for the weekly newsletter
- Work with writers on staff to develop newsletter content
- Work with marketing specialist to promote newsletter
- Manage webcasts: selecting, soliciting and training potential experts in ADHD research, practice and lived experience
- Promote upcoming webcasts through websites, direct email and social media
- Moderate live webcasts, presenting the guest expert and audience questions and post recording to the NRC’s YouTube channel
- Write the regular column Ask the Expert, based on the Ask the Expert Webcast Series
- Write content and articles for the NRC and CHADD websites, publications and partner publications
- Write press releases and handle media relations for CHADD
- Manage health information specialist team, provide training and resources for team members
- Respond to callers to the NRC with questions on ADHD and education, health care profession referrals, and workplace and family concerns
- Manage camp tuition award program, including publicity, submissions, reviews and selections and working with camps and campers’ parents to ensure a good camping experience for awardees
CHADD – Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Lanham, Md., February 2007–January 2009
Communications Manager & Assistant Editor of Attention Magazine
- Coordinated media relations and internal communications
- Wrote CHADD press releases, mass-mailing emails and website content
- Designed informational pamphlets
- Promoted and hosted special events and forums, including educational forums for medical professionals, lawmakers and members of the Spanish-speaking community
- Created, edited, designed and paginated annual conference newsletters and contracted with local vendors to print onsite newsletter
- Designed and paginated various program books, notices and posters for CHADD events
- Wrote and edited in-house and membership publications, including the CEO Report and ADHD in the News
- Wrote feature articles and the reoccurring column, For the Fridge
- Edited and fact-checked copy for the magazine
- Proofread Attention magazine
The Fredonia Newman Center, Fredonia, N.Y.
Assistant Director of Campus Ministry, July 2002–February 2007
- Coordinator of all programs, activities and lay ministries for the college center, including:
- Retreat programming, both spiritual program and location
- Annual Thanksgiving dinner of more than 100 guests
- Interfaith community celebrations
- Holiday and event program, such as start of semester and end of year events
- Advisor to all ministry programs and clubs
- Director of parish council
- Responsible for creation and disbursement of the annual budget
- Managed press relations and program promotion
- Supervised the center’s employees and lay ministers
- Represented the Newman Center and Diocese of Buffalo to the college campus community
- Led prayer services in lieu of a priest
- Provided pastoral counseling for the congregation members of the campus ministry
President, Dunkirk-Fredonia Council of Churches, June 2005–February 2007
- Coordinated ministry community for the city of Dunkirk and village of Fredonia
- Planned annual Thanksgiving, Easter and high school baccalaureate services
- Coordinated annual fundraising campaign
- Wrote and published newsletter
Fredonia State University, State University of New York, University College, Fredonia, N.Y., July 2001–August 2002
Visiting Professor of Journalism, Department of English
- Created and implemented curriculum for Introduction to Print and Broadcast Journalism, News Writing I & II
- Provided independent study opportunities for campus newspaper editors
- Planned, organized and facilitated the Western New York Student Press Association Media Day for Western New York high school journalists
The Journal-Register, Medina, N.Y.
Albion Advertiser, Albion N.Y. , 1997-2000
Assistant Managing Editor of the (Medina) Journal-Register and Editor in Charge of the Albion Advertiser
- Responsible for all news and editorial content of The Albion Advertiser, including reporting, selecting articles and editing
- Conducted and implemented an editorial redesign of the newspaper
- Paginated the weekly newspaper
- Oversaw the Journal-Register newsroom training and coaching of reporters
- Assigned news coverage of events
- Scheduled photographers
- Provided general support to the managing editor
- Represented both newspapers to the community through involvement in local events and press opportunities
Evening Observer – Dunkirk, N.Y.
- Area Reporter, 1995 to 1996
Society of Professional Journalists – Maryland Professional Chapter
- National Member, Since 1995
- Maryland Professional Chapter Member, Since 2011
Association of Health care Journalists
- Member, Since 2010
Relay Improvement Association – Relay & St. Denis/Halethorpe, Md.
Association Secretary, elected position on the community board of officers
- Regular features contributor to the Relay Community Newsletter
- Maintain social media for the RIA and promote events to local media
- Coordinator of WWI Service Banner Restoration Committee
Annapolis Parrot Head Club – Greater Annapolis, Md., region
Service and social club to support charitable and educational programs and promote the general welfare of our community.
Web/Media Specialist, Since 2010
- Maintain the website and social media to promote events and community activities.
- Write press releases and handle media relations for events
STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK COLLEGE AT BROCKPORT – Brockport, N.Y.
Master of Arts, August 2001
Major: Communication l Minor: Journalism
ST. BONAVENTURE UNIVERSITY – St. Bonaventure, N.Y.
Bachelor of Arts, May 1995
Major: Journalism/ Mass Communications l Minor: English
CHRIST THE KING SEMINARY – East Aurora, N.Y.
Coursework towards a pastoral associate degree, 2001-2006
Certificate in lay pastoral ministry l Young Adult Ministry l Theology
- Seminars on ADHD research at the Annual CHADD International Conference on ADHD
- Online seminars and courses through Poynter News University
- Association of Health Care Journalist Annual Conference - HEALTH JOURNALISM 2013 – Attendee, attending seminars on mental health coverage, current newsgathering techniques, freelancing
- Research into 1870s-1890s Anne Arundel County, Maryland, history for future publication